Day +2 - Hannover (D) to Swindon (UK)

Monday 17/08/2020
------------------------------

After a bumb-numbing final push, I made it back to the UK in good time. If I hadn't camped and my ass could take the pain, I would have ridden door to door in 18hrs.

It was a very warm night and I struggled to get to sleep initially. Woke-up to heavy thunder, but thankfully no rain. Didn't rush as I had plenty of time to get to the channel tunnel for my crossing....

I took some scenic roads toward the motorway which was nice but the clouds ahead looked ominous so I put-on my waterproofs and packed all the water sensitive stuff away. Rode straight into a massive storm - couldn't see a lot so had to pull-over for a bit. After a few miles the sun was out again so when I tanked-up, I removed the waterproofs.

About 50km down the road an even more menacing cloud loomed and by the time I hit Holland, the wind and rain really picked-up. I stopped under a motorway bridge to put my waterproofs back on, but the location flooded within a couple of minutes so I had to make a move. Very deep water on the motorway, everyone went 20 miles per hour!

Progress had been slow and it was looking like I might miss my channel tunnel slot. I chose to just ride and only take a break for fuel. I kept my average speed-up and made it to Calais with about 30 minutes to spare. I ate my breakfast and lunch on the train (chocolate bars and sweets).

UK journey home was uneventful - the temperature was far more pleasant after 2 weeks of riding in pretty much constant heat. My wife and son flew home today, but I beat them to the house. That said, they were still able to enjoy a day on the Baltic beach whilst I was fighting the bad weather.....

All in all, a long trip with mostly average riding. Poland is a great country to explore, but the roads are not as nice for motorcycling (on road) as they are in many other countries. All in all, a worthy trip, but next time I need to explore something new and potentially more bike friendly! The bike did better than expected, but I think I need something a bit more bottom friendly or I need to give-up the 600 mile days. After all, I will be 50 this year (so getting closer to a camper-van)!


Mileage: 3496
Country count: 6 (GB, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Poland)
Beers: 52 + loads of other stuff (Whiskey, Moonshine, Brandy, Wine)
Fines: 0
Bribes: 0
Ass pain: 8/10
Mechanical issues: 1 (oil leak - not mine)
Accidents: 0
Wetness: 8/10
Coldness: 1/10

Comments

  1. This blog is very informative and useful thanks for sharing such good insights about it.
    Click here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you found it of interest! All the best!

      Delete
    2. Here's the first part as a video:
      https://youtu.be/VeiKmLR3eqE

      Delete
  2. One of the best article ever readed! Keep it up. Can Read About Private Capital Markets

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 6 - Solina - Kazimierz Dolny

Day 5 - Solina - Solina